‘Bal Adhikar Pariyojna’ is CRY (Child Rights & You) supported project is an initiative for ensuring child rights (Survival, Education, Protection, and Participation). The project focuses on strengthening children collectives (Bal Sangathan) and Adolescent girls groups (already formed in each basti). Under the above rights we intervene on prevailing issues like, never enrolled, drop-out of school, irregular of school, child labour, and child marriage/elope for resolution through awareness and sensitization of people. To improve the status of school and ICDS centre we do advocacy and liaison with concern department for healthy environment. Survey and analysis report is the baseline supporting document to discuss with competent authority which project has prepared during its journey.
Bal Adhikar Pariyojna
MAJOR PROGRAMS & ACTIVITIES:
- Meetings of children collectives at basti and jointly meetings with adolescent groups.
- Awareness Campaign in the community on the implication of child labour and child marriage.
- Meeting with Children Parliament (Bal Sansad) towards their role as to demand raise in the SMCs.
- Week long Campaign against child labour and child marriage (14-20 Nov) celebrating Children’s Day and World Child Rights Day.
- Joint meeting with SMCs, school teachers, basti leaders and parents of the drop-out children towards their enrollment in the school and their retention.
- Annual Bal Sammelan.
- Intensive meeting with varied stakeholders on demand generation of ICDS and RTE mandates in school.
- Enrollment and motivational camp for identified drop-out children.
- Life Skill training with adolescent groups and parents.
CHANGE ENABLED during last year:
- 16 slums have been reported where no incidents of child marriage happened and the process is going on for more slums.
- 4 child marriage cases were intervened out of 15 in joint collaboration of CHILDLINE.
- 42 child labours were mainstreamed into education through liaison and advocacy with school teachers and concern authority in which 41 were removed from their worksite.
- 1 basti has been made child labour free basti.
- 86 leaders of children collectives out of 509 are leading the collectives.
- 10 children collectives were honoured for outstanding and excellent work for collectives, who also stood-up with their own struggle.
- 84 drop-out children were re-enrolled in the school last year.
- Construction of toilet, extra classroom & drinking water connection in PS New Kapali Basti basti, NPS Sidhu-Kanhu basti, zone no. 2 & UPS Beldih gram respectively was done in the last financial year.
BAL ADHIKAR PARIYOJNA is CRY (Child Rights & You) supported program for ensuring four basic and fundamental Child Rights initiative in urban slums such as Right to Survival, Right to Development, Right to Protection and Right to Participation. The issues of Education, Protection, and Health along with advocacy with concern government department& stakeholders on related issues are the focus area of program through sensitization and collaborative approach.
SUPPORT SINCE:Since 1998
LOCATION:Since beginning with 50 slums of Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Dhanbad and Bokaro of Jharkhand. Presently working in 23 slums of Jamshedpur.
MAJOR PROGRAMS & ACTIVITIES:
•Tracking of children and updating of data for analysis.
• Campaign for proper and regular conduct of Pre School Education in ICDS center.
• Community awareness and capacity building for PSE (Pre School Education) including six services of ICDS.
• Meetings with Community, AnganWadi Workers (AWWs), CDPO, District Social Welfare Officer, District Child Protection Officer, DSE, BDO with proper co-ordination of prime movers group.
• Re admission of drop out, child labor and out of school children in the school. Motivation of child labor along with their parents for mainstreaming.
• Awareness program among community and BalSangathan in each basti on child marriage and child labour. Also identification of child marriage cases and counseling them for resolution.
• Conducting central and district level workshops on different issues and sharing outcome with concern authorities.
• Formation and activation of prime movers group for each district for the submission of memorandum (demand letter), follow-up and advocacy.
• Motivation and sensitization of parent through organizing regular Parent’s Day atbasti level.
• Ensuring regularity of all children between 6 to 14 years and 15 to 18 years in the school.
• Strengthening of School Management Committee (SMC), BAL Sansad and BAL Sangathan.
• Sensitization of concern authority and different stakeholders of the society through regular contact and discussion.
• Regular conduct of Crèche [PalnaGhar]
.• 80% Children (0-6 years) in the intervention area are being covered under Women and Child Development program through opening ICDS centers, where there were no ICDS centers in the area. This has resulted in reducing of infant and child mortality rate too as community sensitized and aware about the services of ICDS for them.
• 95% children in age group 6-14 years are now in the school with more than 80% retention till date. Also opening of new schools or improving infrastructure in the area has been done and is in process through advocacy with concern department.
• Community people of slum area are getting basic amenities like, drinking water, toilet, schools, health facilities, roads, electricity facilities along with social security schemes
.• Reduced child drop out and child marriage from 50 to 60 % to 10 %, while delivery at hospitals or nursing home increased to 80% which was nil in the beginning.
• Birth registration and certification is being ensured up to 70% which was nil.
• Reduction of malnourished children up to 70%. Parents are able to identify malnutrition cases.